Tuesday, March 5, 2013

TOC day

Today we had to switch out of our regular classes and into a new class in the role of teacher on call. Normally we student teachers substitute for each other. However, our coordinator Doug felt we needed the "authentic TOC experience". I am grateful to Doug for all his guidance and help but sometimes he makes me want to cry.

Me and my wonderful fellow student teacher Jenny were given a job share for the day. I taught grade 6/7 in the morning while she filled in for the resource teacher. We then switched in the afternoon. To be honest I think I got the crappy end of the stick. I had to teach math and current events and she got to hang out with the little buddy class and supervise the kids while they did their socials projects. Note to self: afternoon calls on a TOC day are probably easier than morning calls.  IF YOU HAVE TO TAKE A HALF DAY CALL, TAKE AFTERNOON CALLS AND SLEEP IN!

It was interesting to walk into someones day plan and just teach what you are told. You don't get to plan it out in your head the day before. Case in point....Math. I have gotten so used to teaching grade three math that I had a small coronary when I looked at the activity I was supposed to teach with a note on it saying "teach the lesson however you want:)". It was actually the only part of the day I really would liked to have had a detailed lesson plan for. I do think I managed to teach it to the kids could understand it. I guess I should also admit that it wasn't hard math at all but when you've had a math phobia all your life it feels like a big deal in the moment.

My only big mistake of the day was believing the kids when the rowdy boys told me that they got to go down to the lunch room at noon before the bell. I'm not sure what I was thinking. Oh well it was a good lesson not to trust the kids who have been giving you a hard time all morning. Benefit of the doubt my butt!

Resource was great. It was little like working in a support worker role. I really enjoyed the 1 to 1 time with students. It has been awhile. I also had an opportunity to sit in on a resource department meeting. It was interesting to see how the team organizes all the assessment that needs to happen for the entire school for the end of the school year.

Hopefully being a teacher on call is as great as it was today. I have a feeling there will be great days and some not so great days but it's all on the path to having that classroom of my own one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment