Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Don't Blink......

It's over, I mean really over!

Last Friday was my last day as a student teacher. Two practicums and six months went by in a flash. I am left thinking about what else I could have done. All the directions left untraveled. I still have so many ideas inside of my head I would  loved to have explored. It all feels a little bittersweet. It was sad to say goodbye to the kids but also a huge relief knowing I had passed another big milestone in this process to becoming a teacher. To be honest it is all becoming quite exhausting.

When I reflect on the experience as a whole I am proud of my efforts. I stayed true to my teaching philosophy. This meant I had to take risks within my school environment and teach my own style which was not always the style of the surrounding classrooms. Overall the reaction was positive, it helped that the principal was familiar with my home school and it philosophies.

As a good bye the kids wrote some very sweet cards. Interestingly enough most of the cards wished me good luck actually finding a job that pays well. I was sort of reminded of my parents. I guess it's good to know someone is looking out for me. 





I won't lie, it was hard. I spent long hours prepping lessons after school. I missed my family, especially my son, Kiya. I can 't thank him enough for all his understanding and hugs when I came home too late to cook dinner. He ate a lot of my husbands specialty of eggs, yams, and salad without much complaining. I also thank Richard my husband who took on all those home roles that we normally share. Getting Kiya to school, walking the dog, cooking, cleaning. I couldn't have done it alone. Thanks guys 

I am also grateful for my wonderful fellow srudent teachers at Strathcona. They provided support, an ear to hear my stresses and were always there to share a beer to celebrate our common successes. Jenny, Natasha, Sharon, you made this a fun experience I will never forget. I have made friends I will keep long after this program ends.

Fnally a very big thank you to my faculty associate John, his insights and thoughtful questions have helped me to become a better teacher and have set me on a path that I will continue to travel down. He is a master teacher. I thank him for sharing his knowledge. I also thank Jenny my teaching associate who gave up her students and her classroom at a very busy time in her life. I wish you best of luck in finishing your masters.






No comments:

Post a Comment