Monday, March 4, 2013

Field Trip to Mount Seymour


I know, I know, I am always saying how I love teaching things.... But of all the stuff you get to do when working with kids, I LOVE to go on field trips! Especially when they involve going outside all day. Extra especially when it involves being in the mountains all day

Ahh the great outdoors!


Today we went on the most incredible field trip. Skiing and snowboard at Mount Seymour. We actually won the field trip through a schools ski program my SA applied for back in the fall. Thirty nine kids most who had never been on skis or snowboards before (and some who hadn't even ever played in snow) got bus transportation, free lessons, lunch, and lift tickets!




I cannot say enough about the wonderful ski and snowboard instructors at Mount Seymour. They are incredible! These people have nerves of steel. The patience and knowledge they had on the hill was very impressive. I know I could not have done what they did today with my kids. Many of the kids were cold, uncomfortable and tired. Somehow these folks were able to keep smiling and stay  positive. They also kept the kids out on the hill for the entire time.




I often forget that many kids don't get the opportunity to get out into the mountains here in Vancouver. They are one of our most amazing resources here in the city. I really think getting any kid outside and into a fun activity is one of the most important gifts you can give them. Chances are they will go back to it if they enjoy it enough. Teaching kids to be fit and enjoy exercise is one of the best things we can do as teachers. Actually I think it is more important than even the core subjects we often put so much value on. Studies show that kids who exercise can focus longer and think more efficiently. It doesn't have to be skiing or snowboarding but something, anything that gets them moving.








Once again, thanks instructors!
I am hoping these people are enjoying a cold beer after a hard day's work. They deserve it!
Thanks Instructors!
Thanks Mount Seymour!










Next field trip on Wednesday! We are off to the symphony. It's going to be a good week......

No comments:

Post a Comment