Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Thanksgiving story: How teaching kids to write can go astray

This actually happened last week but I thought it is a great example of how you an so easily go off topic while teaching.
 I decided to begin a writing topic on Thanksgiving by webbing out my own Thanksgiving dinner with my class. I thought it would be great because it wasn't your average turkey, cranberries and pumpkin pie dinner. My approach was great, I introduced the fact that my usual dinner was cancelled because my aunt and uncle went away on a trip to Italy. Instead my family and I decided to go on a day trip to the valley. I webbed all about how I rode bikes with my son, picked grapes and went to Mount Baker to watch the sunset and eat a beautiful dinner of chicken sandwiches with purple grape Big League Chew for dessert. All in all a pretty straight forward webbing lesson.

Me: Any questions about how you can start your Thanksgiving webs?
Kid one:  Once I saw a bear. Were there any bears?
Me: uh no..there were no bears
Kid two: My last name is Baker!
Me: Cool! Any questions about the webs?
Kid three: Don't you know anybody else you love who can cook for you?
Me: Well you see, I'm from Manitoba. All my family lives there.
Kid three: That's sad.
Kid four: I hate turkey.
Me: OK! time to get started..

Actually, the writing went pretty despite the fact that things went so astray..

No comments:

Post a Comment