Monday, February 4, 2013

My Teaching Philosophy






Today I just wanted to make clear my philosophy on teaching. I actually wrote this many weeks ago but I feel that returning to it and reflecting upon it keeps it fresh in my mind and keeps me focused when I feel myself slipping back to old habits amid the chaos.





Children are curious by nature. I believe that my teaching discipline should reflect and embrace that curiosity. In my practice, I will develop a spirit of inquiry and excitement about learning that will hopefully persist throughout my students’ learning journeys and follow them into adulthood. Teaching children to be thoughtful and critical thinkers will help to create adults who will become productive, contributing members of society.




I believe that children learn best by participating in engaging lessons that are fun and geared towards their learning level. Throughout units, I will endeavor to address the multiple intelligences within the class by developing lessons that are varied. For all subjects, I like to provide time for hands on learning that allows students to develop their thinking skills to make connections within the subject as well as to subjects across the curriculum.








I see the classroom as a community where all members should have a voice. Students will be invited to develop a classroom constitution that will be agreed upon by the group. This will provide a framework under which the class will function. I also believe that students should have a voice in the content of what will be learned within the unit, as well as how learning will be demonstrated. I believe that when students have a vested interest in a subject they will become more engaged and take ownership of the material. I am open to deviating from the Projected Learning Outcomes in order to satisfy the interests of my students.



I am a believer in ongoing formative assessment. I think that many small activities and projects are an excellent indicator of how students are relating to the subject material and progressing towards the big ideas of the unit. I am also a big believer in projects that allow for choice in demonstrating learning as opposed to testing. Projects such as non-fiction pages, oral and digital presentations and allow students to demonstrate learning in a way that best represents them as a student.





I believe that students and teachers are partners in learning. A teacher’s role is to facilitate an acquisition of knowledge in a way that addresses the needs and interests of all students and in doing so ignites their passion to learn. By developing authentic relationships, a teacher can teach to all students within the class.


Above all else teach with honesty, love and integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment